Wednesday, September 30, 2015

A Post in Which I Go On About Meat Caramelization & Waffles


Well, well, well.
 I have had this blog for a while but have >peskily< popped in and out with absolute intentions in writing and being consistent and all the good things but here we are.

 Here we are.

 Here we are with an immediate case of writer's block. Isn't that fun? What on Earth can I talk about today? What do I feel passionate about? Am I going to write serious or silly? I'm in a strange mood. That should be unusual but it's actual PREETTTY usual because moods are so fleeting and what not. I'm listening to Kevin Bacon being interviewed on The Chew and thinking about how it might be that Mario Batali always gets SUCH a GREAT caramelization on ALL the breakfast meats that he ever makes and how quickly I can get my hands on some chorizo. Are these legitimate thoughts that carry enough weight to write about? I do care about these things. A lot. I do school myself in the art of meat caramelization. If I am at home with an opportunity to cook a meat of breakfast origin, you can count on it that I will be caramelizing it >just< so.

And why?

Because I have loved cooking with my whole heart ever since I became a wife some almost 12 years ago. It always hits harder in the Fall. There is no reason for this that I can come up with other than sheer relief that it isn't quite a blazing 123 degrees everyday anymore and the thought of turning on even the toaster as an additional heat source doesn't want to make me roll myself into a ball. It is TRULY a gorgeous time of year no matter where you live! I have been on a crazy kick cooking things that could possibly turn out terrible but so far have been hits. It's this kinda streak I'm on, ay. The perfect example would be a recipe I am SURE someone in this world has come up with wayyy before me but that just came to fruition in this ol' brain. An Orzo Caprese Salad. I am in the business of coming up with as many ways as possible to get Caprese anything in my mouth as soon as possible. It it all of everything, ever. Can I just go ahead and sustain my life on really good tomatoes? I'll share the recipe I used at the end of this post!

Another thing that has been catching my ear as of late is anything waffle. I hear that there are some very partial folks out there. A great divide between pancake lovers and waffle lovers. As for our household, we are waffle heads. We love that waffles carry tons of little pocket-y pockets that allow little pools of syrup or butter or a single blueberry or apple butter or any of the tons of different things that can sit atop a waffle to gather in there and become little beautiful bites of glory. I just bought a Belgian waffle maker after years of having a tiny one that I'd found and bought a garage sale. The thing was ROUGH but made many a Saturday morning waffle and many a Saturday morning happy fam bam. It'll be missed...but not that much because this newbie IS AWESOME. It's non stick, totally happening and I feel like I can challenge the world of waffles as I know it! Why should waffles just be all breakfast-y and not push the limits? How about a Cornbread waffle? A cornbread waffle with cheese and green chilies baked inside? A cornbread waffle with cheese and green chilies and Turkey Chili on top??!

Welcome to this blog. This place where I get to say what I'm probably thinking right in this moment but would NEVER expect anyone to stand there and listen to in person. I want to thank you for reading to this point and ask you to come back for the next installment of weird. Here's a recipe!


ORZO CAPRESE SALAD

2 Cups of cooked Orzo style pasta (looks like little big-ish grains of rice but is really pasta) I found mine at HEB. You will get these all over your kitchen as you cook them, Just go ahead and get your dust pan out now.

1 Pint of cherry or grape tomatoes, halved

1/2 Cup of Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing. I used a bottle that I've had forever from Panera.

Fresh Mozzarella cheese. You can buy the little pearls floating in water or the balls that are not floating but PLEASE don't buy pre-shredded mozz or cut the rectangle hard stuff up for this. You want fresh!

Basil Pesto. Make your own or grab you a little container from the refrigerated section! I usually add about 1/2 a cup.

Salt & pep pep to taste!


Boil your Orzo pasta according to package directions, drain and rinse with cold water,  Toss with a teaspoon or so of olive oil to keep the grains from sticking.
Halve your tomatoes and pour in your Balsamic dressing, cubed mozzarella, basil pesto, Salt & pep pep in your mixing bowl. Stir to combine all that beauty. Add your cooled pasta and mix. Practice self control to keep from getting out the biggest spoon you own and making like it's a shovel.

Love and all the waffle happiness in the world,

K




No comments:

Post a Comment